Default Font Size Icon



The college shall provide its employees opportunity to travel on official business at college expense. The board delegates to the president or designee the responsibility to develop and implement travel procedures in accordance with state regulations.

Approved by the president's cabinet: 6/28/22
Adopted by the board of trustees: 5/10/00

Last reviewed: 6/28/22
Policy contact: Administrative Services

Related policies and procedures
1600.115 Travel Procedure



  1.  Prior Approval
    1. Travel requests for college business must be approved by the appropriate area supervisor prior to the date of the travel. The employee must complete a travel authorization form (A-40-A), sign it, obtain appropriate authorizing signature(s), and submit original to the fiscal services office prior to traveling for state purposes.
    2. The fiscal services office processes necessary registration fees, travel advances, and vehicle rental.
    3. In some cases, travel advances are allowed, upon prior request, based on 80% of estimated per diem. (Exceptions are ASWVC travel.) Requests for travel advances must be submitted at least one week prior to travel date.
    4. All out-of-state travel must be approved in advance by the president.
  2. Reimbursement
    1. Upon return from travel status, an employee must complete a travel expense voucher form (A-20-A); sign it; attach receipts for commercial facility, rental car, credit card, and any other expenses incurred; obtain authorizing signature; and submit original to the fiscal services office.
    2. Forms are processed by the fiscal services office and employee is notified when the reimbursement check is available for pickup at the cashier's station. (Reimbursements which are to be mailed directly to employee should be so noted on the travel expense voucher form.)
    3. The fiscal services office makes payments directly to commercial carriers, state approved vehicle rental agencies, and travel agencies.
    4. Notation should be made on the travel authorization form when reimbursement is to be provided by another agency. The fiscal services office will then recover identified travel expenses from that agency.
    5. Reimbursement rates for subsistence, lodging, and mileage are listed in office of financial management (OFM) regulations, a copy of which is available in the fiscal services office and on-line on the OFM travel web page.
  3. Cancellations
    1. Employees will notify the fiscal services office as soon as possible when an approved travel arrangement is cancelled.
  4. Travel Arrangements
    1. Lodging is reimbursed at actual cost up to allowable per diem. A receipt is required for reimbursement. Employees make their own lodging arrangements and reservations. See current per diem rates at
    2. For air travel, rental car or train reservations contact the fiscal services office for current procedure.
  5. Meals
    1. Per OFM policy, meals purchased while on travel status are reimbursable if the employee is away during the entire established meal period, and the traveler is in traveler status for three hours beyond the traveler’s regularly scheduled working hours for any one day.
    2. Established meal periods for WVC employees are:

      Breakfast  6:00 a.m. to7:30 a.m.
      Lunch        11:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
      Dinner       6:00 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.


Student funds may be used to pay travel expenses of individuals who officially represent the associated students in an activity which is generally related to the entire student body. Students are required to travel with an instructor/advisor. A prior trip approval request must be submitted by the advisor/coach to the chief student programs officer or designee, approved by the appropriate instructional dean, and forwarded to the appropriate student senate or activity council for approval. All out-of-state travel must be approved in advance by the Wenatchee Valley College President. Out-of-state travel must be paid for from non-S & A fee fundraising. Advisors should ensure that students attending a trip sign a travel consent form at least two weeks before departure and that these forms are filed in the student programs office. Upon return from the trip, the advisor/coach will submit a trip report to the chief student programs officer or designee to account for all funds expended.

Students must sign the WVC travel consent form to participate in ASWVC sponsored travel.

  1. Meals and Lodging
    The combined meal and housing costs may not exceed district travel allowance policies.
  2. Private and/or Rental Vehicles
    Students choosing not to ride in the scheduled college-owned/rented vehicle do so at their own risk and expense.
  3. ASWVC Vans
    Drivers of ASWVC vans are required to possess a valid Washington driver’s license and be an employee of the college.


  1. Instructional field trips are arranged through the appropriate administrator at the beginning of each quarter, if possible, but not later than two weeks prior to time trip is to be made.
  2. The instructor must complete an instructional field trip request form , sign it, and submit it to the appropriate administrator for approval.
  3. An instructional field trip is intended to be a class activity, and students are required to travel with the instructor. Students choosing not to ride in the scheduled college-owned/rented vehicle do so at their own risk and expense.
  4. Wenatchee Valley College is insured through the tort claims act and does not cover employees' private vehicles.


  1. State vehicles may only be used for authorized college business.
  2. Vehicles purchased or leased with either college or ASWVC funds are state-owned and the responsibility of the college.
  3. To be authorized to use college-owned vehicles, employees and students must furnish a copy of their valid driver's license (appropriate to the vehicle being driven) with a state ID number, the name of their insurance company, and the policy number showing proof of state-required liability insurance. In addition, it is strongly encouraged that all drivers have "driver of other car" coverage on their personal vehicle liability policy.
  4. Use of any college vehicle for student activities must be scheduled and checked out through the chief student development officer or designee on the Wenatchee campus or the campus administrator on the Omak campus.
  5. The following procedures will be followed in the use of ASWVC-purchased vans:
    1. Use of ASWVC-purchased vehicles must be approved in advance through the official prior trip approval process.
      1. Travel requests for all ASWVC clubs and organizations must be approved by the appropriate campus activity council and the appropriate campus administrator.
      2. Travel requests for all student government activities must be approved by the appropriate campus student senate and the appropriate campus administrator.
      3. All out-of-state travel by student clubs, organizations, athletic teams, and student government must be approved in advance by the appropriate campus administrator and the college president.
    2. ASWVC-purchased vehicles may be used for group and/or student travel sanctioned by the college, such as college visitations or instructional field trips. The chief student development services officer or designee and/or the Omak campus administrator reserve the right to restrict the use of the ASWVC-purchased vehicles when conditions might result in undue damage.
    3. Charges for the use of ASWVC-purchased vehicles are reviewed annually by the appropriate campus student senate and must be approved by the president's cabinet. The current rate schedule for ASWVC-passenger vans is available from the student programs office.
      If the ASWVC-purchased vehicles are unavailable, the appropriate campus student services administrator may authorize use of a rental vehicle per state contract.
  6. Responsibility for the use and control of the assigned vehicle shall remain with the employee or authorized student from the time and date the travel packet is picked up from the appropriate campus administrator until the packet is returned to that administrator. The travel packet consists of keys to the assigned vehicle, a state gas credit card and a mileage report form. The mileage report form must be signed and completed prior to return of the travel packet.
  7. Wenatchee Valley College is insured through the state tort claims responsibility act. The state of Washington may, under certain circumstances consistent with OFM policy, attempt to first collect any claims arising from the operation of the college vehicle from the driver's private insurance carrier.


The use of state contracts for airfare is mandatory where available. (The fiscal services office and travel agencies have the OFM-approved list of locations.) Employees should check with the fiscal services office for current travel information and assistance before making travel reservations.

Originally approved by the president’s cabinet 11/13/01
Revised and approved by the president’s cabinet 9/23/04, 4/2/13
Presented to the board of trustees 10/20/04, 5/15/13
Last reviewed: __/__/__
Procedure contact: Administrative Services

Related policies, procedures and related materials
600.115 Travel Policy
ASWVC Prior Trip Approval Request Form
ASWVCO Prior Trip Approval Request Form
Instructional Field Trip Request Form
Travel Authorization (A-40-A) Form
Travel Consent Form
Travel Expense Voucher (A-20-A) Form